Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Burned out

This is how I feel every day. I mean to be a great student who studies and comes to class prepared. But then it never happens. I always mean to research my papers in advanced but I never get around to it. My professors are great. I couldn't ask for better teachers. They are so passionate about what they do and I love that about them. If only I could get over being burned out and show that I too am that passionate about Anthropology.

Currently I am procrastionating and writing this post when I should be writing my paper for a Spanish class. Or the paper for the Senior Seminar that was actually due today. Or working on the ethnography project for the Gender Race and Class in Society class. Or the research paper for my Bioanthropology class. Or the presentation I will be delivering for the Death Symposium in December. Instead I find even the wall to be more interesting than what I need to do.

This isn't because I am uninterested in these subjects. No, I love what I am learning and can't wait to learn more! I can't wait to go back into the field and research more. Or even the lab. It's tedious work but I enjoy every second of it. The hours fly by. I don't even realize it until someone stops me for lunch or even to end the day. Instead I have been working my brain on overdrive for about 3 years now. Never taking less then 15 credit hours a semester and working part time on top of that.

 It will be weird once this is all over and I no longer have to juggle school, work, and my (nonexisting) social life. What will I do with all that extra time? I'm sure it won't be long before I try my luck at graduate school. But first I hope to work for Teach for America. It would be amazing to help other children with little oprotunity to leave the life of poverty and give them hope and a chance to change their lives. I can give them something that could profoundly help them in the future: a second language. And not just any second language, but Mandarin Chinese. How amazing would it be to give these children the chance to learn a language like this? I hope I am given that chance. But first I have to apply and panic everyday I don't hear from Teach for America.

On the other hand, I also want to find a way to help undocumented immigrants in the USA. I know the immigration laws of the US are broken and need to be revised. It needs to be revised to give all immigrants the opprotunities to live comfortably in the US. To be given a chance here. No one should be discriminated against soley based on their ethnicity. But unfortunatly this happens in the immigration laws of the US. Anyway, if there was a way I could help protect the rights of all immigrants and make the immigration laws fair, I would.

No comments:

Post a Comment