Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Panic Attack Ensues

After spending all night writing 6 of the 10 paragraphs for my Spanish class I woke up at 5:30am in order to write the rest. I figured I could write all of them before I had to go to work at 7. Boy was I wrong. I only wrote one more paragraph and had to rush to work.

I work at a dog daycare. It's great, as long as I remember to wear ear plugs. I love most of the dogs that stay there. They all have such cute personalities and have their own ways of catching your attention. Obviously working at a place where I have to watch 20 or more dogs at a time means I can't work on my school work while at work. I use my break time for that, when I run to the closest place that has Wifi so I can look up Spanish words when I need to. My 30 minutes is used up on one paragraph. I'm honestly confused at how long it takes me to write a paragraph in Spanish. I don't see how I'll be able to finish when I only have an hour between when I get out of work and when my class actually starts. When 12 comes around, my co-worker isn't back from break and my relief hasn't arrived yet. My arms have started to go numb from anxiety. Today of all days is the worst one for me to be forced to stay late at work. My coworker shows up and I zoom out of there to get stopped by my manager. "You should really stay until he arrives. We need two people back there." But I really can't. I promise any other day I would but today is not a good one. I get a disappointed look but am able to go home.

When I get home I quickly open my laptop and begin on the next paragraph. That takes me another 30 minutes to write. No, I am definitely not going to finish my work before class. I manage to finish the 9th paragraph and hit the save button. Maybe I can write the 10th paragraph while Fernando is driving me to school. Well I could have but my computer didn't save my work. My 9th paragraph had disappeared. Why! Why is this happening? What do I do? I can't write these sentences without an English to Spanish dictionary. My boyfriend helped me some while on the way to school but there was only so much he could do. And I still needed to spell check and organize the paper. Sigh.

By the time I printed out my paper it was 30 minutes into the class. I find it incredibly disrespectful when people show up extremely late to class so I just couldn't do that. I was freaking out. I know by showing up after the class has ended it'll look like I just don't care. I wanted to cry. As I headed to the classroom I realize I'm looking in the wrong building and I run into my friend! She's a professor at the school but I had never actually seen her there! If only I wasn't so frazzled.We talk for a minute to catch up then I run off to find the classroom.

As I run up the stairs my heart started pounding and my chest started to tighten. I was on the verge of a panic attack. As I walked towards the classroom, I couldn't breathe. I was afraid I was about to pass out. I ran into the room and saw my professor. "I'm so sorry I didn't make it to class. When I went to print out my paper, the last two paragraphs were missing so I had to rewrite them." I said while practically hyperventilating.

"It's ok. I understand. Just email it to me once you've finished the paper."

"Oh, I'm done. I rewrote it. I'm so sorry."

It's here? Ok thank! And relax." He told me as he patted my shoulder "Everything is going to be alright."

"Thank you!" And I ran out. Almost on the verge of tears. How weird that my professor's comforting words made me more emotional. But I have learned that I need to structure my time better and to stop worrying about things to the point of panic attacks.

I love my professors. They're all so passionate about their profession and about teaching. I've been so lucky to have these great professors.

No comments:

Post a Comment